Monday, March 8, 2010

Is it normal for a 64 yr old woman with diabeties to loose their hair?

I am femail and suffer with diabeties and lately my hair is starting to fall out.Everyday I have a little less hair and lots of bald spots. I wondered if any of my medication may be causing this.I take metformin and gliclazide.Last week I seeked medical advice and my GP suggested a testosterone blood test which I am waiting for the results but he doesn't think he can really help me.Can anyone suggest anything else or is there someone out there who has a similar complaint? It is really depressing.I know the other alternative is a wig!Is it normal for a 64 yr old woman with diabeties to loose their hair?
The loss of hair may not have anything to do with your diabetes or medication. To be sure, please check with your doctor.Is it normal for a 64 yr old woman with diabeties to loose their hair?
I would talk to a doctor. You may have propecia (hair loss due to a disease) or hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism sometimes goes hand in hand with other endocrine disorders like diabetes.





The sites below were very informative, so I'd check them out. I know I don't know all the causes of female hair loss. I'd read these and then talk to your doctor, possibly a dermatologist, OB-GYN or an endocrinologist. The best person to refer you is your regular doctor.





Good luck!
If you decide to go with a wig, i would suggest a full lace or lacefront wig. These wigs are attached using an adhesive, the base of the wig is this very fine material and the hair melts into your skin creating the image of very natural hair. The wigs are well worth the investment and look great on. I have been wearing them for 3 years now and love the way the look feel. I can cut,color and style my human hair wig just like i use to with my own hair. So after talking with your doctors and you find that you need a wig, i would visit www.hairbylondon.com
Have you gained or lost weight recently as well? You need to get your Thyroid checked. One of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is hair loss. There are multiple other symptoms as well, such as weight gain, memory problems, concentration problems, depression, anxiety... and for hyperthyroidism, you could also have hair loss, weight loss, concentration problems, insomnia, etc...





I would definately look in to the Thyroid, there has been an increase lately in the diagnosis of these conditions. It is quite common in women in there 40's to 70's and above.





Make sure they do a whole thyroid panel withTSH, T-3, T-4, and T-7 blood tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment